Tuesday 20 March 2012

Five Reasons

NOT to craft when you are cranky:




1. You are more likely to get frustrated with your work. 


The piece may end up being thrown across the room or worse, become a WIP that never gets finished. 


2. Your mood shows in your work. 


I don't know about you, but if I am in a particularly bad mood when crafting (especially if working on an Amigurumi piece) my mood is reflected in my work. See example below. 








Poor Nana here was supposed to be all cute and sweet. She ended up looking like a deranged old zombie with bad fashion sense instead. 




3. If you prick yourself with a needle; instead of quickly drawing in a breath and sucking the injured finger, you may be inclined to swear - loudly. Not so good if the kids are about. 


4.  Your colour choices will be affected.


5. You are much less likely to be able to concentrate on that difficult pattern you have started for the first time (or remember to write down what you are doing if you are designing a new piece). 




That said, I found a fabulous quote from the amazing Melody McDuffie yesterday: 


"Crocheting apparently, for many of us, generates a healing sense of peacefulness akin to that produced by meditation. My theory is that, like meditation, crocheting requires a narrowed and disciplined focus that results in a quieting of the mind. Therefore, when it is engaged in regularly, it eventually produces many of the same results as daily meditation: reduced stress, an enhanced sense of well-being and self-esteem, an easier acceptance of life's vicissitudes, and an attitude of greater compassion for one's fellow beings.

I know I'm going way out on a limb here, but think about it this way: it would explain why, at least in my experience, crocheters, as a group, are among the world's kindest and most generous-spirited people."


I know many crafter's whose sole reason for crafting is to give to others, to charity, the less fortunate and family or friends. Others craft to help support their families by selling their patterns or finished items. I like to support all of these crafter's alike where I can. Even if it's just a 'shout-out" on Facebook. Art and Crafts of any medium are implicit in the growth of our heart, spirit, family and society. All I will ask of you is to love your fellow artisans. 


Happy Crafting. 






No comments:

Post a Comment